Wednesday 22 September 2010

Exploring the Landlord / Tenant relationship

After reading an online friends plea for housing help the other day, I became interested in the relationships between Landlords and Tenants.



So I started to look at what resources there were out there, and one led me back to Tessa Shepperson's site, where I guest blogged back in the summer.



She has a good post about what the actual responsibilities of being a landlord actually means. something I am not sure all property investors understand, but soon come to learn. I know I learned real fast.

Landlord responsibilities are not the first thing most people think about when they consider investing in property. But it is important to realise that if you become a landlord, you are taking on legal obligations as well as an income stream.



What being a Landlord really means


Tessa also tackles Common Law, and what it actually means.

Non lawyers often seem to think that there is this vast body of statute which details everything, so that somewhere there will be an act of Parliament saying whether their landlord has to get rid of the wasps nest in the loft and how long their notice period should be.



Some of these things will be covered by statute but others won’t.  What do you do then?  This is where the Common Law comes in.


Again handy to know from both points of view.



Whilst I didn't find the solution to my friends scenario, I did realise what a great resource this site is and wanted to share that.



And my guest blog ... Moving on a budget is here if you want to take a look.



Sarah

No comments: